What Does "Properties as a Frequency" Do?
"Properties as a Frequency" allows users to harness the Properties feature to create custom groupings of Entities and then display the consolidated Entities as columns in a side-by-side manner in reports. This feature is specific to each Qvinci Company/Qvinci Client. Additionally, this feature is only available as a templated report under the My Reports tab, not as a Basic Report. The feature essentially takes an output which looks like the top report below and consolidates Entities in any customized consolidation format, such as the report on the bottom.
Step 1: Create the Properties
The first step to utilizing Properties as a Frequency is to create the Properties themselves. The options, or buckets, that are created inside a Property will be the custom groupings that are desired as the column outputs in the reports. As such, the user will want to name the options/buckets accordingly, with the column header output in mind.
- The Qvinci Admin or Leader should visit the Manage > Properties tab in the left navigation bar.
- Create a new Custom Property. The Property name itself is not shown in the report; just the option/bucket names. For example, if the user desired to consolidate Entities by region, they would call the Property "Region" or "Regional Groupings", etc.
- If the Property is not tracking a Date or Number then the user should always select "List" as the type of Property. This will allow the user to key in text naming conventions.
- After creating and saving the Property the user is allow to create the list options on the second half of the page.
- Using the same example of a "Regional Groupings" Property, the user would begin entering the options/buckets for the regions. IE: Northwest, Southeast, Pacific, etc. Entities will then be tagged into those options and it is those naming conventions that will appear as column headers in the report.
- It may be preferable to create an "N/A" or "Other" option as a placeholder for new/future Entities as well.
Step 2: Assign Entities into the Property Options
After the options/buckets are created the user needs to assign Entities into them.
- Visit the Manage > Entities tab and click on an Entity in the column.
- In the center of the screen click on the Properties link that appears under the Entity name.
- Assign the Entity into the desired option/bucket.
- Repeat the process for each Entity until all are assigned.
Step 3: Build a Reporting Template Using the Property
After Entities are assigned into the Property options/buckets, the user is able to construct the template which will deliver the desired output.
- If the user does not already have a formatted template in their My Reports tab, visit the Qvinci Gallery under Reports > My Reports to find one. Typically any P&L or Balance Sheet template will work, as the user is going to edit it anyway. Be sure to click "Edit" and not "Preview" when opening the template. IE: No financial values should appear in the rendered template.
- With the template open, click "Save As" and give the template a custom name.
- Click on the cell in the first column which contains a Column Chooser macro (typically Column C).
- After clicking on the correct cell to update with the new macro, select the Column Chooser option from the top right of the tool bar. (If the user does not see Column Chooser try minimizing the browser or looking under the downward facing arrow on the right.)
- In the "Select Frequency" dropdown, choose "Property".
- In the secondary dropdown that appears for "Select Property", choose the desired Property by which to sort the report columns.
- After making selections for the rest of the report, such as date range, etc, be sure to save the preferences.
- After preferences for the Column Chooser are made for that particular column, be sure to Save the report. A Preview or Package download will only render the most recently saved template changes.
- Remove any additional column macros that are not desireable (if this template was saved from another version) and click Save again.
- After saving the template changes, click Preview.
- The user should see that the columns are arranged by Property option names.
- The user may still use the "Filter Entities" tab at the top of the report to further filter the Entities that should be enrolled in the report output.